Thursday's night car bombings at two Egyptian resorts crowded with Israeli tourists bear the hallmarks of al-Qaeda, Israeli officials said Friday.
Israel's military intelligence chief, Maj. Gen. Aharon Zeevi-Farkashi, told an emergency Cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv that al-Qaeda was most likely behind the attacks.
Deputy Defense Minister Zeev Boim cautioned that very little was known about the attackers, but he also said al-Qaeda was the most likely suspect. Boim told Israel's Army Radio that Palestinian groups apparently were not involved and he suspected al-Qaeda affiliates: "On the face of things, this is different from what we are familiar with from Palestinian terrorist groups."
Hours after the blasts at the Taba Hilton and the resort of Ras Shitan in the Sinai Peninsula, no known groups had claimed responsibility. Three previously unknown groups, including one linked to al-Qaeda, published separate claims of responsibility. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)