Sources: Due to massive global opposition, U.S., Britain to soften new Iraq resolution

Published February 16th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Rattled by an outpouring of anti-war sentiment, the United States and Britain started reworking a draft resolution Saturday to authorize force against Saddam Hussein.  

 

Diplomats told AP the final product may be a softer text that does not explicitly call for war. Before Friday's Security Council meeting, U.S. and British diplomats said they had been preparing a toughly worded resolution that would give them U.N. backing for military action.  

 

British diplomats had said then that any resolution would have to include an authorization of force. They described working versions of the draft as short, simply worded texts that found Iraq in "material breach" of its obligations and reiterated that Saddam now faces "serious consequences" as a result.  

 

But the measured reports by inspectors, in addition to massive global opposition to war came as a blow to their plans, AP added.  

 

The two allies had hoped to push through a new resolution quickly, and there had even been talk of a Saturday council meeting to introduce it. But their plans were put on hold Friday after staunch opposition — led by France, Russia and China — drew rare applause inside the council chamber.  

 

British and American diplomats conceded they would need to go home, consider the views of others and soften the tone of the draft.  

 

Adding to the pressure, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said in an interview Saturday with Abu Dhabi Television that another resolution, following up on Resolution 1441 would be necessary if force was used against Saddam.  

 

"I think a second resolution, following through on the conditions of 1441, is necessary," Annan said. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content