Sharon considering calling referendum as Al Aqsa Brigade officials consider ''withdrawal plans'' as Palestinian victory

Published February 4th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was considering calling a referendum on his plan to evacuate all Jewish settlements from the Gaza Strip.  

 

"The referendum is one of the options being envisaged, but there is also the option of early elections and the formation of a new government," an Israeli official told AFP. "All these options are being studied at the moment."  

 

Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades 

On top of Israel's most wanted list are the names of these two Palestinian activists - - Hashem Abu Hamdan and Nader Abu Leil, senior officials in the Fatah's military wing – the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.  

 

In an exclusive interview with Yediot Aharonot website, from their secret hide-out, the two men, in comments published Wednesday, said their movement intends on "burning up the barrier fence".  

 

According to them, there are rockets in the West Bank that can reach Israeli cities. They claim they don't believe Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's comments on a withdrawal from Gaza Strip, but feel it constitutes a Palestinian "victory" and that an "Israeli escape [should occur] just like what happened in Lebanon".  

 

The two senior activists added, "attacks aren't expensive. Just some water, some material, bolts and a patriotic fighter who is willing to sacrifice himself – and the attack is on its way." 

 

"1,000 Sheqels at most kill 20 Israelis – in contrast to the Israelis who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on missiles to kill one of us." 

 

On the Israeli Prime Minister's intention to pullout of settlements, the two officials said it served as a "victory" for the Palestinian resistance, but added they wish to see an Israeli "escape" just as the one that took place in Lebanon back in 2000. 

 

Hamdan and Abu Leil said their movement as well as other factions have Qassam rockets, mortar shells, Aqsa rockets 1 and 2 and other weapons – that will be used at the "right time" and will reach cities in central Israel.  

 

"The separation fence Israel is building, from our point of view, is a fence made of carton – that one match can light". They warned the Israelis to "soon wait for an action of ours from within the fence". 

 

For their part, Israel's security services claim Abu Hamdan last month tried to penetrate into Israel a Palestinian suicide bomber, a resident of the Askar refugee camp, who according to the Israelis, carried with him an explosive device hidden in a computer.  

 

On Tuesday, it was disclosed that Israel's security services recently arrested two Palestinians who tried to commit a suicide attack in a Petah Tikva restaurant, located in central Israel. According to the Israeli security services, it was Abu Leil who dispatched them, but he denied this charge in the interview, and added, "I warn the Israelis that such allegations give us the feeling that all is lost from our standpoint, and it just encourages us to continue attacking inside Israel". 

 

Hamden also made clear, "Without hope for the Palestinian nation, there will be no security for the Israelis". (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content