Report: Family of former Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister accuses CIA of not fulfilling terms of surrender deal

Published August 12th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Relatives of former Deputy Iraqi Prime Minister Tariq Aziz, are accusing the United States of reneging on his surrender agreement. 

 

In an exclusive interview with ABC NEWS' Good Morning America, Aziz's wife and children accused the Central Intelligence Agency CIA of failing to comply with an agreement allowing the family to keep in regular contact with him. 

 

Aziz surrendered on April 24. According to the terms of the deal, his family received safe passage to Jordan aboard an American plane. Since then, they have lived in an apartment in Amman. 

 

During the special interview, Aziz' daughter said US officials negotiating the surrender haven't kept their part of the deal, allowing the family only two letters from Aziz and not permitting any visits. 

 

His son, Saddam Aziz, told the American network, "We never saw him since that day. We never had any contact with him, except for the letters from the Red Cross." (Albawaba.com) 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content