A Palestinian man was shot dead by Israeli troops Tuesday night when he threw a firebomb at them during an arrest operation in the West Bank village town of Qabatiyah, near Jenin, Israeli sources reported. Soldiers were arresting a member of Fatah when the second man threw the firebomb, the report added.
For their part, Palestinian sources confirmed Bilal Omar Yusuf Abu Zeid, 25, was "martyred". According to them, the victim was shot in the head.
Early in the day, two home-made Qassam rockets said to have been of a new advanced type hit the Israeli city of Sderot early Tuesday, causing structural damage but no casualties, media reports said. Israeli police sappers who examined the rockets, fired from Gaza Strip, said they had longer range and more explosive potential than previous models of Qassams.
Meanwhile, Israel's Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom is set to leave for Cairo next Monday to discuss with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak ways of advancing the Israeli withdrawal plan from the Gaza Strip.
Shalom intends to call on Mubarak to exert pressure on Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat to transfer his powers to Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei and enable responsible Palestinian bodies to take control over the areas from which Israel evacuates.
Mubarak spoke to Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon on the telephone Monday, after the two leaders exchanged letters last week. Mubarak reiterated his support for the disengagement plan, and sources in Sharon's bureau said he "stressed his willingness to help advance it."
The two decided to establish a joint committee "for various bilateral issues" and to promote the committee's activity, Shalom was invited to Cairo. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)