A large number of Israeli soldiers raided the West Bank city of Tulkarem before dawn on Saturday, Israel Radio reported. The troops were carrying out house-to-house searches in the city as well as in its refugee camp.
Palestinian sources said that the forces included dozens of tanks, armored personal carriers and other armored vehicles.
Tulkarem governor Izzedine Sharif said that three people had been detained during the Israeli operation. The Israeli army also detained three volunteers with the International Solidarity Movement, movement spokeswoman Flo Razowsky said.
Also Saturday, a Palestinian fighter was killed in an exchange of fire with Israeli troops in the northern Gaza Strip.
A blast Friday near a bus carrying settlers in the Gaza Strip wounded eight of them. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack later Friday.
Meanwhile, the US on Friday welcomed Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's acceptance of the internationally-brokered road map to Middle East peace, and said approval by the Israeli cabinet would allow implementation of the plan to start.
Sharon said Friday that Israel was ready to accept the road map, and that he would present it to the cabinet Sunday for its approval.
U.S. President George W. Bush welcomed Sharon's words, saying that it signals progress, and hinted that he would be willing to hold a three-way summit between himself, Sharon and Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen), if such a meeting "advances progress toward two states living side by side in peace."
Speaking to reporters in Texas, after meeting the Japanese prime minister, the president said that he would consider holding a joint meeting with Sharon and Abu Mazen. "I'm exploring the opportunities as to whether or not I should meet with Prime Minister Abu Mazen as well as Prime Minister Sharon," Bush said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)