Iran frees boats carrying American soldiers

Published June 4th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iran released two boats carrying four US soldiers, an oil contractor and two civilian ship captains, but two drivers remained in detention Tuesday, US Central Command said. 

 

The team, reported missing earlier this week, were detained by Iranians as they sailed up the Shatt al-Arab waterway from the Mina al-Bakr oil terminal in the Gulf to the Al-Faw peninsula in Iraq, a statement said. 

 

"They were not physically abused," Centcom said. 

 

"The two drivers remain detained," the statement said, but did not specify who the drivers were either. "The four soldiers and three of the civilians were escorted and released back onto their boats," on Monday. 

 

They were en route to Kuwait aboard the USS Firebolt, Centcom said. (Albawaba.com) 

 

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content