Iranian forces have foiled schemes by activists of al-Qaeda network to launch attacks on Iranian territory, the government daily Iran quoted Sunday a top official as saying.
"They carried out a whole range of preparations for terrorist acts on Iranian soil but, through the action of the security services, these plans were uncovered and foiled," the secretary of Iran's top security body, Hassan Rohani told the paper.
Iran has recently denied that it had ever held Al Qaeda leader’s son or two principal lieutenants after an Arabic daily charged that the trio were being allowed to slip out of the country.
A foreign ministry official told the Iranian Student News Agency that longstanding reports that Saad bin Laden and Al Qaeda number two Ayman al-Zawahiri and number three Saif al-Adel had been detained in Iran were untrue. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)