Interior Minister: Several of those arrested in Saudi shooting may be al-Qaeda members

Published February 9th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Some of the eight men arrested in connection with a fatal shooting in Riyadh last month may be members of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda, the Saudi interior minister said, according to a Saturday newspaper report. 

 

"Some of them were arrested on suspicion of belonging to al-Qaeda," Saudi Interior Minister Nayef bin Abdel Aziz told Asharq Al-Awsat

 

However, the minister added, "we must await the outcome of an investigation to confirm the accusations." 

 

On Friday, the interior ministry announced that Saudi authorities had arrested eight men in connection with a shooting in Riyadh on January 24 that left one dead and three injured, including two Saudi police officers. 

 

A ministry official, cited by SPA news agency said, "An interrogation, as well as their own statements, revealed that they were influenced by erroneous and deviant ideas". (Albawaba.com) 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content