IAEA: US, European envoys clash over Iran nuclear plan decision

Published March 9th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) postponed discussions on Iran's nuclear issues on Tuesday upon a request by the head of the group of 77 (developing countries). 

 

The board is to continue its review on Wednesday. An informed source at the IAEA, talking to IRNA said talks between IAEA officials on issues regarding Iran's nuclear programs are still going on. 

 

"No working document, a draft resolution or a statement, on Iran has been agreed upon so far," the source said, according to IRNA

 

European and US envoys on Tuesday were discussing the text of a proposed resolution on Iran, it noted, adding that the primary text proposed by the United States on Iran was rejected by most European States. According to diplomatic sources, the US was pushing for a tough resolution on Iran for non-proliferation violations.  

 

The meeting of 35 member states of the IAEA governing board opened at UN headquarters in Vienna on Monday. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content