Vice President says Khatami ready to quit over Iran's elections controversy

Published January 21st, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iran's Vice President Mohammad Ali Abtahi said Wednesday President Mohammad Khatami and his entire government were prepared to step down over the disqualification of candidates for next month's parliamentary elections.  

 

Abtahi said after a weekly cabinet meeting that many ministers and vice-presidents had already handed in their resignations. He did not say how many officials resigned nor did he identify them. "The Cabinet ministers are very serious in their resignation," he added. 

 

Khatami must approve the resignations for them to take effect.  

 

When asked whether Khatami would join them in walking out, Reuters cited him as saying, "It is supposed that all of us will go together."  

 

Abtahi, however, added that a political crisis in the Islamic republic could still be averted if the country's Guardian Council, which has barred almost half the 8,200 aspiring candidates for the February 20 vote, followed the advice of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has called on a thorough revision of the disqualifications. 

(Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content