ALBAWABA - Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomat, said the Vatican will not participate in the Gaza "Board of Peace" initiative launched by U.S. President Donald Trump, according to AFP.
Parolin said the Vatican "will not participate in the Peace Council because of its unique nature, which is of course different from that of other countries."
He added, "One of our concerns is that, at the international level, the United Nations should be the primary body managing these crises. This is one of the points we insist upon."
Pope Leo, who's the first American pope, was invited to join the board last month, but the Vatican refused the offer to be part of the "Board of Peace".
Under Trump's plan, which led to a fragile ceasefire in Gaza in October, the council was slated to temporarily oversee the administration of the territory. However, Trump, who chairs the council, later said its mandate would be expanded to include addressing global conflicts.
The council is scheduled to hold its first meeting in Washington tomorrow, Thursday, to discuss the reconstruction of Gaza.