UNRWA waits for Israel apology

Published October 13th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The chief of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees on Wednesday demanded that Israel apologise for wrongfully accusing UNRWA of allowing Palestinians to move rockets in its ambulances, The AFP reported. "I wish to have an apology," Peter Hansen told a meeting in Jordan of representatives of major donor countries to the the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East.  

 

"I would like to see as much energy spent in withdrawing these accusations as there was energy in making them."  

 

These remarks came after the Israeli army acknowledged it was wrong to accuse UNRWA of allowing Palestinian activists to use its ambulances to transport Qassam rockets in the Gaza Strip.  

 

Earlier this month, the Israeli army published footage of what it claimed was Palestinian gunners loading a Qassam rocket into an UNRWA ambulance.  

 

"After a thorough review of the material, the nature of the object loaded on the vehicle cannot be determined with certainty. Thus, the determination that the object loaded was a Qassam rocket was too unequivocal and made in haste," the Israeli army said in a statement late Tuesday. (albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content