Two Israeli soldiers were wounded Monday afternoon by Palestinian fire along the "Philadelphi Route" in the southern Gaza Strip. One was moderately injured and the other was in moderate to serious condition.
The military wing of the Popular Resistance Committees claimed responsibility for the shooting. Organization spokesman Abu Abir told Ynet the attack was in response to Israel's violation of the calm last week, by killing three Palestinian children in Rafah and an al-Aqsa member in Nablus.
Meanwhile, the Israeli government on Monday issued a tender seeking bids for construction of 50 new homes in a West Bank settlement.
Yaakov Harel, spokesman for the Israel Lands Authority, told The AP the homes would be built in the West Bank settlement of Elkana. According to him, infrastructure work has been completed and construction of the homes could start in two or three months.