Iran's top nuclear policy-maker Hassan Rowhani, currently visiting Japan, said Tehran is to accept an International Atomic Energy Agency inspection unconditionally.
"The 27th has been confirmed," Rowhani told a news conference, referring to remarks on Monday by Mohammed ElBaradei, chief of the United Nations nuclear watchdog, that Iran had agreed to let its inspectors into the country on March 27.
"And there is no condition" on the planned inspection, said Rowhani, secretary general of Iran's Supreme National Security Council.
The Islamic Republic had put off inspections scheduled for last week in order to protest the drafting of a tough resolution by the IAEA against Tehran for hiding "sensitive parts" of a program Washington claims is devoted to "secretly developing nuclear arms".
During the news conference, Rowhani, who has been his country's chief negotiator with the IAEA, restated Tehran's anti-nuclear policy.
"Iran did not hope to produce nuclear weapons in the past and will never do so in the future," Rowhani said.
"We will continue working hard until the international community believes that Iran's nuclear development is completely based on a peaceful purpose," he said.
According to IRNA news agency, Rowhani reiterated that Iran stopped its uranium enrichment activities just in line with its confidence-building efforts, adding "Iran will start its uranium enrichment when it causes no concerns for the international community."
He said the United States' accusations of his country's suspected nuclear arms development were "groundless."
"As for Iraq, the United States has said Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, but such weapons of mass destruction have not been found," he said.
"If the United States has information that Iran is still hiding something, please inform the IAEA and it will send its inspectors (to Iran) to inspect," he said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)