Iraq's most wanted man has fled the country for emergency surgery after an American airstrike left him with shrapnel lodged in his chest, according to a senior resistance commander in close contact with his group. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is now believed to be in Iran, The Sunday Times reported.
He has suffered from bouts of high fever since being injured by a missile that struck his convoy three weeks ago as he fled an American offensive near the town of al-Qaem in northwestern Iraq, the commander was quoted as saying by the paper.
His condition late last week was described as stable, but supporters were said to be preparing to move him to another “non-Arab” country for an operation to remove the shrapnel. “Shrapnel went in between the right shoulder and his chest, ripped it open and is still stuck in there,” said the commander.