The opposition inside and outside Lebanon of giving President Emile Lahoud three additional years is gathering momentum.
A report by the Beirut-based An Nahar daily on Monday said that the U.N. Security Council scheduled closed-doors consultations for later in the day on a joint U.S.-French draft resolution scolding Syria and calling for an end to its 28-year-old military presence in Lebanon.
But national and international objection failed so far to stop the process in Lebanon's parliament to amend article 49 of the constitution and vote in Lahoud for an extra half-term in power. Speaker Nabi Berri said he would on Wednesday decide the date of the voting session. On its part, An Nahar said it would be next Monday.
Druze leader, Walid Jumblat was reported by the newspaper to have decided to direct his 16-man bloc in parliament to cast 'no' votes in defiance of Syrian pressure. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)