The judge leading the judicial committees to probe former officials of Saddam Hussein's ousted regime in the central city of Najaf was shot dead, a prosecutor who had been kidnapped with him told AFP.
Muhan Jabr al-Shuwaili, who chairs the Najaf Tribunal and the investigative committees, was kidnapped along with Najaf prosecutor general Aref Aziz, from the judge's home in the city early Monday, Aziz convyed.
The two were taken in cars to a desert area, eight kilometers north of Najaf, he said. "One of the assailants said 'Saddam has ordered your prosecution.' Then they fired two shots into his head," Aziz added, according to AFP.
"As for me, they told me 'this does not concern you'. They released me," he stated. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)