At least four people were killed and some 50 others injured Friday night when a suicide bomber carried out an attack on the promenade in Tel Aviv, according to Israeli media reports.
Initial reports said the Islamic Jihad and Fatah's al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades have claimed responsibility for the attack, but later the two groups denied any involvement in this attack.
The explosion apparently took place around 11:30 PM (local time) on a Friday night at a city club, a time when people are often arriving at parties and night clubs in the area. According to police officials, a suicide bomber detonated himself at the entrance to the club.
According to reports, Israeli security forces were chasing two suspects, after witnesses reported they saw two men fleeing the scene of the explosion.
The manager of the club told Israel's Channel 2 that the club had opened only moments before the blast, in a queue of some 30 people waiting to enter. There were four security guards on the door, he said, adding that the club was usually very busy on Friday nights. He added that he had been inside at the time of the explosion, and had heard a "large boom."