Kadhafi's son: Bush, Blair to visit Libya during 2004

Published December 24th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

British Prime Minister Tony Blair and US President George W. Bush will visit Libya in 2004, Moamer Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam was quoted as saying on Wednesday.  

 

"The British premier will visit Tripoli at the outset of next year, followed by a visit by US President George Bush," Kadhafi junior told the London-based daily Asharq al-Awsat.  

 

"I expect (the Bush visit) to take place after the lifting of US sanctions which I believe should happen within three months at most," he told the newspaper.  

 

In a surprise move, Bush said last Friday Kadhafi had agreed, after nine months of discrete diplomacy with Washington and London, to renounce all weapons of mass destruction and "immediately and unconditionally" welcome international inspectors. 

 

Kadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam, also disclosed that his father and Blair last week held a long conversation over the phone, during which the Libyan ruler urged the US and Britain to treat ousted Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein in "a humanitarian way."  

 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content