Palestinians might not get a state for many years as a result of Israel's unilateral "disengagement" plan, Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in interviews published Monday, providing more details of his proposal to "pullout" from all of the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements.
Furthermore, Sharon said his country is no longer bound by a pledge to Washington not to harm Yasser Arafat, saying the Palestinian leader and the head of Lebanon's Hizbullah movement Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, are potential targets for assassination.
Meanwhile, Israeli security forces were on high alert for the Passover holiday, with reinforcements deployed at outdoor markets, malls and synagogues. The military banned all Palestinians from entering Israel to try to "ward off" attacks. The tight closure is to remain in effect at least until Israel's "Independence Day", April 26, officials said.
Sharon said the withdrawal plan is a "deadly blow" to the Palestinians and that he would not coordinate with them - an apparent response to ultra-nationalist critics who have accused him of "succumbing" to "Palestinian violence".
"In the unilateral plan, there is no Palestinian state. This situation could continue for many years," Sharon told Yediot Aharonot daily.
The prime minister said he plans to evacuate all 21 Israeli settlements in Gaza and four in the West Bank. He said a patrol road between the Gaza Strip and Egypt would remain under Israeli control for the time being.
Sharon said he would seal off Gaza after a withdrawal, at least initially.
"At the moment, the plan is to evacuate all the (Gaza) settlements, to prevent the Palestinians from operating ports and to keep the border with Egypt under our authority," Sharon told Yediot Aharonot. "In my opinion, it would be best to disconnect from all the territory."
Sharon did not explain how Gaza would function in such a situation. He said Israel would continue supplying water and electricity, but said the flow might stop in the event of a major Palestinian attack on Israelis.
The Israeli leader said his country would not destroy settlements it evacuates. He said that Israel intends to get the property evaluated by international organizations and has already raised the issue with the World Bank.
Regarding Arafat, Sharon said that three years ago he promised US President Bush that Israel would not harm Arafat, but since then circumstances have changed.
"Arafat was (then) given red carpet treatment everywhere in the world. Today it is clear to the United States and to everyone just who Arafat is," Sharon said.
In the meantime, also Monday, a 30-year-old Palestinian civilian died of injuries sustained in an Israeli air strike last month against Islamic Jihad activists, doctors said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)