Israeli Army opposes expected Sharon ''unilateral steps'' towards Palestinians

Published November 30th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Israeli security sources on Sunday said the military chief, Lt. Gen. Moshe Yaalon, disagrees with Ariel Sharon's intention to take unilateral steps should peace talks with the Palestinians fail. The army's "professional" opinion is that unilateral moves, such as dismantling settlements in the absence of a peace deal, will encourage "terrorism," said the sources.  

 

Ya'alon has said he would support the evacuation of settlements only if done as part of a comprehensive arrangement with the Palestinians.  

 

The Israel Army wants to give the new Palestinian government, led by Ahmed Qurei, a chance, and its top officers have proposed that troops withdraw from West Bank cities and that roadblocks be removed, to relieve the 

humanitarian distress in the territories, the sources were quoted as saying by the Israeli press.  

 

Ya'alon believes that the Army should first pull out of "quiet" Palestinian cities, as a way of rewarding them.  

 

Last month, Yaalon criticized Sharon for Israel's crackdown in the Palestinian areas, saying the harsh measures were encouraging, rather than deterring, Palestinian factions.  

 

Meanwhile, U.S. envoy William Burns was scheduled to meet with Sharon and Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, after meeting Qurei in Amman, Jordan, late Saturday. Burns is the first senior U.S. official to meet the sides since Qurei's new cabinet was sworn in earlier this month. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content