Iraqi forces on Thursday at 12:30 p.m fired missiles into Kuwait, at least one of which, identified by the U.S. military as an al-Samoud, was reported intercepted by three U.S. Patriot anti-missiles before it hit American troops poised to attack Iraq.
"Our information was an al-Samoud Missile was launched against U.S. forces assembling in forward attack positions," said Col. Michael Linington, leading the 3rd Brigade of the 101st Airborne Division.
Air raid sirens sounded in Kuwait City for three to four minutes, and then stopped.
Three Patriot missiles were fired and knocked down the Iraqi missile, he said, adding that the al-Samoud did not have a chemical warhead.
There were no casualties in the missile incident in a northern Kuwaiti desert.
U.S. and British troops based in Kuwait had earlier been ordered to don gas masks for fear of an Iraqi chemical weapons attack.
At least two Iraqi rockets had landed north of Kuwait City not far from the border. (Albawaba.com)