Iran's foreign ministry said Sunday that Tehran was still studying the question of halting uranium enrichment, retracting an earlier remark suggesting the Islamic Republic had already implemented a key pledge on its nuclear activities.
"We have agreed to suspend it and we are studying the modalities of a suspension," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said, retracting an earlier comment.
Asked if this meant enrichment activities were still going on in the country, he replied, "Implicitly, yes".
Earlier Sunday, Asefi was asked in a press conference if enrichment had been physically halted following Iran's agreement Tuesday to suspend its work on the nuclear fuel cycle.
"Since we have discussed it, I imagine that it has been done," the spokesman replied. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)