The Iranian foreign ministry said Sunday it had launched an investigation into a firebomb attack on the British embassy in Tehran, adding that security around the mission had also been stepped up.
"The ministry of foriegn affairs has asked the relevant bodies to provide information," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters, adding that he had yet to receive confirmation of Friday's incident.
"But given the sensitivity of the subject, we have set up special monitoring and have increased the level of security around the embassy since last night. There are some people who want to show the country is unstable but the police will confront them," he said.
On Friday, the British embassy announced it had been targetted by a firebomb, causing some fire damage to the mission's gate but no casualties. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)