Iran spokesman: EU proposal ''unbalanced''

Published October 24th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iran described a European proposal aimed at ending a nuclear standoff as "unbalanced" and rejected its demands that the Islamic republic halt all uranium enrichment activities. 

 

"The European proposal is their preliminary proposition and is not definitive but it is unbalanced," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said.  

 

Tehran will reject "any unlimited suspension" of its uranium enrichment activities as called for in the deal offered to Tehran by the European Three - Britain, France and Germany, he added.  

 

However, Asefi on Sunday told reporters that the decison to engage in negotiations with the Europeans was the right one, adding, "Today we are on the right path."  

 

The three European countries presented Iran with a deal last week aimed at avoiding possible U.N. sanctions under which Tehran would receive valuable nuclear technology if it indefinitely suspended all uranium enrichment activities. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content