Iran: Israel accusations aim at misleading world public opinion

Published January 26th, 2005 - 05:49 GMT

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said Wednesday that recent Israeli allegations regarding the Islamic Republic's nuclear activities are "baseless" and aimed at misleading world public opinion. The Press and Information Department of the Foreign Ministry quoted Asefi in a statement as saying the accusations are intended to deviate world attention from the "Zionist regime's own nuclear activities."


Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres earlier this week challenged the international community to galvanize itself against Iran's nuclear ambitions while the chief of Mossad, the Israeli spy agency, warned of Iran having reached the "point of no return" in its nuclear activities.


"The unfounded claims of Israeli officials were made to deviate world attention from Israel's organized terror activities and efforts to further strengthen its nuclear power," Asefi noted, according to IRNA.


To date, Israel refuses to sign the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and put its nuclear activities under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), but it brazenly and maliciously tries to portray Iran's peaceful nuclear activities as a threat to the world, the spokesman added.

Asefi further said that recent statements of an Israeli official accusing Iran of trying to hamper the resumption of peace talks between the Palestinian Authority and the Israeli regime was a "vain scenario" aimed at justifying the numerous crises of its own doing and the failure to solve the Palestinian problem.


"Israel`s continued trampling of the rights of the Palestinian people on flimsy excuses cannot wipe out the roots of their struggle or weaken their resistance and they will be eventually vindicated in their rights," Asefi stressed.

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content