Iran will stop building and assembling centrifuges for uranium enrichment this week, the Iranian nuclear chief said Tuesday after talks with the chief U.N. weapons inspector.
Gholamreza Aghazadeh, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, said Tehran would "voluntarily" suspend its centrifuge work from April 9. Centrifuges can be used to enrich uranium for use in a weapon.
Iran "is interested as quickly as possible to bring this case to a close," he stated, according to The AP.
Mohamed ElBaradei, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, welcomed this move and said a new team of inspectors would come to Tehran on April 12 to verify that all uranium enrichment activities had been completely halted.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)