Israeli forces opened fire on positions held by the Lebanese Hizbullah movement and war planes launched a raid on southern Lebanon Friday afternoon, after at least 12 mortar shells were fired at Israeli outposts in Shebaa Farms. No injuries were reported.
Hizbullah claimed responsibility for the barrage, saying it was fired in response to Israeli attacks on Lebanese targets.
In response to the mortar strike, Israeli fighter jets, helicopters, and tanks bombarded Hizbullah positions in Lebanon.
According to Lebanese media sources, the Israeli army fired several missiles at Hizbullah targets. The sources said civilian targets were also fired at, including two Lebanese towns, but no injuries were reported.
Earlier in the day, a senior Israeli security official told Ynet Israel would not be able to restrain itself if Hizbullah attacks persisted.