Hariri killing: Bush doesn't know if Syria involved as family demands international probe

Published February 17th, 2005 - 08:46 GMT

US President Bush on Thursday said Syria is "out of step" with the rest of the Middle East, and that its relations with Washington are "not moving forward." However, the US leader said he was not sure if Syria was behind Monday's deadly attack which killed former Lebanese premier.

 

Asked if he thinks Syria was involved in the assassination of Rafic al Harir, Bush told reporters he doesn't know. The president said he'll "withhold judgment until we know what the facts are." He said the US supports an international investigation of Hariri's death. Bush noted Syria should pull its forces out of Lebanon.

 

Earlier in the day, the family of Hariri called for an international commission to probe his assassination. Pressure intensified for Hariri's killers to be caught amid speculation that Syria had a role in killing the 60-year-old politician.


Hariri family on Thursday demanded an international investigation, though the Lebanese government opposes a foreign-led inquiry. It has, however, asked foreign investigators to assist.


"We call upon the international community to promptly take control of this issue and form an international investigation commission, since the assassination of Rafik Hariri is a terrorist act targeting Lebanon's stability and national unity," the Hariri family said in a statement. "We will not spare any effort or means to find the perpetrators of this crime no matter what their affiliation is."


Thursday ends a three-day mourning period in Lebanon for Hariri, following his funeral Wednesday.

 

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content