British embassy in Yemen to close due to ''deteriorating security situation''

Published February 27th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Britain is closing its consular service in Yemen amid heightened security fears. The British embassy in Sana'a and Consulate General in Aden will be shut to the public from March 1. 

 

All Britons have already been advised to quit Yemen. The diplomatic missions had been kept open to aid those who had decided to stay. 

 

But the Foreign Office said Thursday night they would close at the end of the month because of the "deteriorating security situation". Just a "small complement" of the seven-strong British staff will remain, it said in a statement. 

 

"The Foreign Office already advises against all travel to Yemen and that those British nationals already in Yemen should consider leaving," the statement added. 

 

"The embassy and Consulate General will be able to offer only limited consular assistance to those who choose to remain." (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content