Ex-Iraqi information minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf re-emerged Thursday on Arab television screens claiming the U.S. freed him after questioning.
The minister said Thursday the battle had been a "very difficult time. Not just on one man, but on all." He told Arabic news channel, Al-Arabiya, that he made contact with U.S. forces through friends following the end of the war. He was questioned about his job and later released.
The minister's daily briefings during the U.S.-led invasion of his country won him cult status.
He continued to insist from the roof of the Palestine Hotel in Iraq's capital that coalition forces were facing annihilation as live TV pictures showed U.S. tanks rolling around Baghdad.
Asked in the TV interview whether the comments originated from ex-Iraq president Saddam Hussein, or himself, al-Sahaf said: "No, these are all from the Arab history and all will be clear on time."
Al-Sahaf's 25-minute interview, which was taped Thursday in Baghdad, will air on Friday. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)