American troops last week hit a convoy said by US military sources to have been carrying ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and his eldest son Uday, a British newspaper reported on Sunday.
According to The Observer, US experts were in the process of carrying out DNA tests on human remains recovered from the convoy, struck by missiles last Wednesday as it headed out of Iraq towards neighboring Syria.
US military sources said the strikes were launched after the interception of a satellite telephone conversation involving either Saddam or his sons, the paper detailed.
The convoy was struck near the Iraqi border town of Qaim, while the operation involved the US air force and ground troops of the Third Armored Cavalry Regiment, it added. (Albawaba.com)