Occupation troops to destroy Saddam's palatial homes

Published January 28th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

US authorities on Wednesday prepared to destroy Saddam Hussein's five palatial homes in the village where he was born, having stripped them of expensive marbles, tiles and valuable furniture. 

 

The 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, stationed in Tikrit, received permission from occupation authorities Tuesday to go ahead with the demolition in Uja village, said the commander, Lt. Col. Steve Russell.  

 

For the past couple of months, contractors hired by the American forces have been removing valuable materials from the homes including hand-cut Italian bricks and polished marble tiles, Russell told reporters taken on a tour of the captive leader's home.  

 

Saddam's home and adjoining gardens were surrounded by dates and orange groves. The main entrance to the building was covered in blue and white tiles. Inside, the high ceilings were covered with Arabesque geometrical designs and artwork.  

 

A covered walkway connected the main house to an indoor swimming pool with glass walls and red-and-white tiled floors. The walls are now shattered and the pool partially drained. Salvaged tiles were laid in neat piles.  

 

Parts of the house were destroyed by US missiles during the war on Iraq last year.  

 

In addition to the massive four-story residence toured by reporters, the other homes expected to be demolished were built by Saddam for the exclusive use of his two brothers and sons Udai and Qusai.  

 

According to The AP, Russell added that once the homes are leveled the property would be returned to the owner, Sheikh Mahmoud Nassiri, from whom Saddam had "seized the land". (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content