Iran's President Mohammad Khatami said on Wednesday that the government is making every effort to hold free and fair election on February 20 and noted that he will not accept any single unjust disqualification.
The Iranian leader told reporters after the end of the cabinet meeting that the government is keen on holding a magnificent election, something which is possible through real competition.
"God willing, we will have free and fair election," he said. Asked about possible postponement of the election, President Khatami said, "I hope this will not happen."
The Iranian Guardian Council has approved the qualifications of 650 hopefuls who were prevented from
running in next month's elections, it was announced in Tehran Tuesday evening.
The Council's spokesman, Ebrahim Azizi, cited by IRNA news agency, said that names of 461 nominees have so far been announced to the Interior Ministry.
He added that names of others whose qualifications are to be approved in the upcoming days would be announced to the ministry gradually so that the ministry would inform the hopefuls of these developments.
The Guardian Council exerts "great efforts to approve qualifications of those who have no legal obstacles for entering the 7th Majlis [parliament] race", he added.
The GC members consider acting upon the guidelines of Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei as their duty and will move within the framework of the Constitution, Azizi reiterated.
The council would not be swayed neither by personal tastes nor by political inclinations in reviewing the complaints, he added. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)