Four Palestinians shot dead in West Bank as new US resolution says Palestinians have right to sovereignty

Published May 7th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Israeli troops on Friday killed four Palestinians in the West Bank.  

 

In Nablus, an 18-year-old Palestinian was shot dead. The Israeli army said that forces operating in Nablus saw a man armed with a pistol, shot and hit him. 

 

According to AFP, the man was standing on a rooftop when he was hit by two bullets. 

 

Elsewhere, Israeli troops operating in the Nur a-Shams refugee camp in the West Bank city of Tulkarem killed two Islamic Jihad activists and arrested a third on Friday morning. The two people killed were identified as Sa'ed Masi'i and Wa'il Raba. 

 

Muntasar Ziyad, 18, from West Bank village of Bita, near Nablus, was killed by Israeli fire in the afternoon. 

 

In New York, the United Nations General Assembly on Thursday voted 140-6 to approve a resolution that claims the Palestinians "have the right to self-determination and to sovereignty over their territory."  

 

The vote was supposed to take place earlier in the day, but it was postponed to allow changes demanded by European countries to an earlier draft proposed by the PLO. 

 

According to the draft, "the status of the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, reminds one of military occupation, and affirm, in accordance with the rules and principles of international law and relevant resolutiuons of the United Nations, including Security Council resolutions, that the Palestinian people have the right to self-determination and to sovereignty over their territory, and that Israel, the occupying power, has only the duties and obligations of an occupying power under the Fourth Geneva Convention." (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content