In fear of possible terror attacks, Kuwait has intensified security around Western diplomatic missions and oil installations, a security official said on Thursday.
The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry spokesman General Adel al-Hashash disclosed that more soldiers had been deployed around embassies, consulates and all other areas frequented by Westerners.
"Fifteen departments, including the state security agency, have gone on the highest state of alert and are working around the clock as of Wednesday evening," he told Reuters. "The ministry has found it suitable to implement such precautionary plans until the situation calms down," he added.
On Wednesday, Osama Bin Laden's deputy, Dr. Ayman al-Zawahri, urged Muslims to intensify strikes on western interests of states that backed the US-led war against Iraq and to "turn the ground beneath their feet into an inferno."
He also lashed out at Arab countries that backed the ousting of Saddam Hussein, naming Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen and Jordan. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)