Al Qaeda threatens new attack on Western, US airlines

Published June 8th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A statement purportedly from Al Qaeda activists in Saudi Arabia warned Monday of fresh attacks on US and Western airlines, installations and areas frequented by Westerners.  

 

"All compounds, bases and means of transport, especially Western and American airlines, will be a direct target for our coming operations in the near future", said the statement, posted on a pro-Al Qaeda website.  

 

The authenticity of the statement, signed "Al-Qaeda on the Arabian Peninsula," could not, however, be confirmed.  

 

The statement referred to "crusaders" and warned that "all that is affiliated with these crusaders - from compounds, bases and means of transport, especially Western and American airlines - will be the direct targets of our next operations in the path of holy war which, with God’s help, we will not be diverted from, especially in the near future."  

 

The statement begins by warning all Muslims to avoid "contact with the American and Western crusaders and all non-believers in the Arabian peninsula".  

 

In addition, it calls on Muslims to stay away from Americans and Westerners "in their homes, compounds, movements and means of transport - in all shapes and forms."  

 

The statement said the warning aimed to spare Muslim blood. "We act only to protect them, their religion, honor and life," the statement added.  

 

The statement appeared to be concerned with the American presence in the oil-rich Saudi Kingdom, rather than in Iraq and followed a gun attack that killed a BBC cameraman and critically injured a BBC correspondent in Riyadh earlier this week. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content